Thursday, October 16, 2014

Weekly Blog 10/13/14 Characterization In My Current Book



     In the book Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson we are introduced to the main character Melinda, who has gone through a very traumatizing event. The first thing we see from Melinda is when she says at the very beginning of the book, "It is my first morning of high school. I have seven new notebooks, a skirt I hate, and a stomachache." We can tell from this that she is scared or nervous to go to school.

     This helps with character development because the main character Melinda is feeling low of her self so that makes her attitude and her actions slow and gloomy. Melinda is the type of girl that would rather stay home and do nothing all day. She has so much guilt that she explains further more into the book. In the story her character develops from being okay, sad, to depressed, and even sadder if possible. She wonders through high school looking for someway to fit in when everyone around her doesn't even notice her. She looses many friends so it also effects her development. Her parents are also arguing all the time and its close to divorce. During the book I discovered that really all she wants is to be a kid again. For all her worries to go away.

     I could tell all this thought pages 1 to 144 because the author specifically tells you that just like any other kid, she wants to be normal. She can not do that because she did something that made everyone hate her. I can't spoil the book! After just reading half of the book I'm ready to say that I think she can not be happy anymore. She puts way to much time afraid someone or something will hurt her its got teachers, counselors and even her parents worried about her. This book could really affect your life just like it did mine. 

In the book on page 4 she wrote "I wasted the last weeks if August watching bad cartoons. I didn't go to the mall, the lake, or the pool, or answer the phone. I have entered high school with the wrong hair, the wrong clothes, the wrong attitude. And I don't have anyone to sit with. I am an outcast." This helps me know that she is conflicted with not knowing anyone and that she is very conflicted with being here, I personally think that she doesn't want to be here for a greater reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment