Thursday, May 5, 2016

Socratic Seminar Morrie Reflection



         Tuesday's with Morrie has changed my way of thinking about life, way more then any other book. This book has taught me so many life lessons with Morrie's aphorisms, and our Socratic Seminars helped me really get a clear image as to what the aphorisms meant. For example the aphorism, "'You're not a wave, your part of the ocean.'" When we discussed this, we all had said something different yet in the end we concluded that it meant we are all one and that every person together makes up the 'ocean'. 

          My personal goal through out all the Socratic Seminars was to invite someone into the conversation. The trend that I noticed was that I never actually did it, and I think it's because I never really found a good time to say it. I also never was able to properly form a question in order to bring a person into the conversation. My personal goal never did change, however I did try to involve myself into the conversation more. If we do possibly have more Socratic Seminars, I'll try harder to achieve my personal goal. 

          I noticed as a class, many of us were prepared to speak and had many unique and 'difficult' questions, the ones that made you think more. I think something that helped the seminar was that every one had different parts of the book that they found interesting, and everyone had different questions since we don't all think alike. I think that's one of the reasons why for the most part, the Socratic Seminar's went smoothly. One thing that I noticed was how it was only a specific amount of people who actually were talking. I'm assuming this is why there were awkward silences sometimes after someone had shared a thought or question.  


No comments:

Post a Comment