Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Morrie's Aphorisms - Final Project



          The aphorism that I chose was, "Don't cling to things, because everything is impermanent." Morrie's main message was that you shouldn't let emotions "penetrate you", that instead they should over flow within you. That's how you'd be able to detach yourself from that emotion. ]His message was if you never allowed yourself to bask in the emotion and accept it, you'd never move past it and instead be forever afraid of it. In the book Morrie had specifically said, "And only then can you say, 'All right. I have experienced that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now I need to detach from that emotion for a moment.'" I think what he says relates to "embracing pain" since after you embrace it, you slowly move past it.

          I can relate this aphorism to a personal experience in my life. I would relate it to my grandpa. I know that sooner or later, everyone dies, and Morrie would also be an example to that. Except when you love someone and you've spent so much time with them, you don't really expect it to end. When my grandpa had suddenly died, it made me realize that anyone can die at any second. The sudden realization made me want to spend as much time with my family as I can, especially as I never properly got the chance to say goodbye to my grandpa. This relates to the aphorism as life is impermanent, and we shouldn't cling to the thought that we get to live forever with our loved ones. 

          I agree with the aphorism 100%. There's many ways you can connect this aphorism to, the one that I chose was life and death. Morrie used it with feelings, and you could also connect it with objects. When using life and death as the example, everyone knows that a person can't live forever, so the aphorism matches as life isn't permanent. In the book it had also said, "But detachment doesn't mean you don't let the experience penetrate you. On the contrary, you let it penetrate you fully." This goes hand in hand to an experience about someone or something dying. You embrace the sadness and accept it, so that you can overcome it sooner. I'd say an aphorism I'd use is "think before you do," since often times, many people don't and that's what usually gets them into trouble.


No comments:

Post a Comment