Sunday, May 22, 2016

Final Reflection 5/22/16

   
          The three most important things I've learned this year are the proper use of commas, sentence clauses, both dependent and independent, and phrases. I think this because learning these, will increase my level of writing. Knowing these will help me all throughout my life. Mainly since we all write, sentences and paragraphs almost every day, so its important to do it correctly.

          Something we did this year that I personally think I'll never forget would be the Butterfly project. The Holocaust topic has always interested me, and this project brought out both my curiosity and my creativity. When we first stared reading the poems, I got very curious imagining what the concentration camp looked like. As to why I did some further research on the camp. Then when we were told to make a butterfly I went a bit overboard going to different stores for different materials. I loved the end product, and the presentations where very good.

          The nicest thing someone in our class did for me was write the anonymous letter about our problem. My issue that I was dealing with was my grandpa and the prostate cancer that he had. I thought it had to be the nicest thing anyone has ever done to me because I was really scared that he was going to die. However the mystery person told me to keep my head up and hope for the best. I did hope and pray, and in the he sadly did still pass away.

          I taught one of my classmates how to use google docs better. For example, when we were taking notes and she couldn't figure out how to turn on the option to list or change the font/text color. This helped her a lot since we were usually doing notes on the stories we read or essays we'd do. Helping her can also be useful to her in the future, since now she can help others who are confused on how to use Google Docs.

          I think I've made my biggest improvement in writing. I think this because of the multiple writing pieces we've done, and the recent lessons on commas, phrases etc. These lessons will help me in high school and for the rest of my life. Something that I'm proud of accomplishing this year the aphorism project that involved Tuesday's with Morrie. I think this because the project made you really think over the aphorism that we each chose. For example, mine was, "don't cling to things, because everything is impermanent," and I thought this meant life and death. As you shouldn't cling to life, as sooner or later everything dies.

          I think the most challenging part of this year for me was my procrastination. I know its a bad habit to have, yet I haven't really taken measures to fix that. For example, ill put things off until Sunday night, or any night when I know we have homework assigned. I think over the summer ill definitely have to fix that however, since I know high school will give me even more homework then I get now. The summer reading project should help me with my habit, and ill really try to finish it early.

          I think the best piece of writing I've done this year was the Life is Beautiful comparison/differences with Night. I think this because I loved the movie and the book equally. Also the fact that both the movie and the book are in the same time period, yet completely different stories, really interested me. Looking for the similarities and differences between both was also a challenge, but one I didn't really mind. As the whole topic of the Holocaust really interests me and I love reading or watching what ever movie that is related.  

          If I had to chose a favorite book that we read this year, it'd have to be Tuesdays with Morrie. I'd say this because the book has taught me so many life lessons, that I don't think ill ever forget. One that really hit me the most was, "Death ends a life, not a relationship," because my grandpa had passed away before we had started reading it. It was a reminder that I still love him, even if he passed away. The book was also very heartwarming and made me cry on several occasions, in my opinion it was one of the best I'd ever read.

          Advice to students who will be in this class next year... I'd say be really organized and be prepared. Both of those things are really good especially since we get a lot of papers, and to be really focused since the up coming year will definitely be harder then the one before. Another thing, don't procrastinate. Its really bad trait, and Mrs. Larson likes things always on time. Still one of the most important things I've learned while being in her class. Well, that goes for most teachers in general. I still cant believe I'm leaving Heritage this year, its been a great three years that have passed by so quickly. You guys will definitely have fun this up coming year! The parties were always really fun! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment